Re: panic in uma_startup for many-core amd64 system

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 09:55:30 +0300
on 19/10/2010 00:01 Giovanni Trematerra said the following:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Andriy Gapon <avg_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Again, not sure if I follow you, I don't see relation between per-cpu caches and
>> dynamic slab size.
>
> Your patch seems just a work around about initial slab size where the
> keg is backed.

Well, setting aside my confusion with the terminology - yes, the patch is just
that, and precisely because I only tried to solve that particular problem.

> Having dynamic slab sizes would allow to have the keg backed on a larger slab
> without going OFFPAGE.

I agree in principle.
But without seeing code that implements that I can't guess if it would really be
more efficient or more maintainable, i.e. more useful in general.
Still a very good idea.

--
Andriy Gapon