Re: CPU report in first line of "vmstat 1" is meaningless

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon_at_apollo.backplane.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 23:43:39 -0700 (PDT)
:>
:> > On a related note I'm not sure if it makes sense to have the same
:> > behaviour for the first line when an interval is set as when it is
:> > invoked with no interval.
:
:...also vmstat seems to exist in a few other OSes (linux e.g). maybe they've
:fixed it already (or the netbsd/openbsd/dragonflybsd folks or apple?).
:
:cheers.
:alex

    No, we haven't.  I think it is meaningless too, and I can't imagine
    any script that would try to snarf that line.

    Another problem is that vmstat output in general is blowing out its
    column formatting.

    We have made some changes in DFly... sub-second intervals can be
    specified, and I think we enforce at least one space between fields
    so the output doesn't become totally unreadable.  But the blowouts
    still remain.

						-Matt