Re: 2TB HDD = TIMEOUT - READ_DMA48 ....

From: Darren Reed <darernr_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 02:53:40 -0700
Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2010-Oct-13 22:59:39 +0000, Darren Reed <darrenr_at_fastmail.net> wrote:
>
>> As another body that today bought a 2TB HDD, I can confirm the presence
>> of kernel messages relating to READ_DMA48 with FreeBSD 8.
>> The drive in question is a Hitachi one, not a Samsung.
>>
>> Is it the drive, system or operating system?
>>

> You'll need to provide some more details such as how old your FreeBSD
> 8 is, drive model number, controller details and the actual error
> message you are getting.
>
> I recently bought a Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000, which is sitting in an
> Astone enclosure (identifying as "Sunplus Technology Co.,Ltd.").
> Unfortunately, I'm limited to USB2 whilst I wait for the correct eSATA
> adapter.  Whilst the first disk was DOA, its replacement is running
> perfectly (though slowly) with my 2-week-old FreeBSD 8.1-stable.  In
> particular, one of the first tests I did was to write a pseudo-random
> sequence over the entire surface and then verify it to ensure that all
> sectors are uniquely addressable

When I booted FreeBSD on the bare metal, the problem was not present.
Nor was it present when I attached the drive via USB to NetBSD and that
got me to thinking because it did show up with NetBSD under VMWare...
thus...

This turned out to be a VMWare issue.

The problem was solved by upgrading VMWare Workstation from 6.5.3 to 7.1.2.

Hope this helps.

Darren