Re: [RFC] More meaningful information about ENOEXEC for kldload(8)

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 22:33:51 +0200
On 10/25/10 22:13, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Doug Barton<dougb_at_freebsd.org>  wrote:
>> On 10/25/2010 12:19, Xin LI wrote:
>>>
>>> Here is a simple patch that adds more meaning messages when kldload hits
>>> ENOEXEC.
>>
>> +1 on anything that makes this (and related) error more clear. I know I've
>> stumbled over it numerous times.
>
>      Typo in the error message aside...
>      Technically you can dig the source of these errors from
> /var/log/messages // syslog though,

Yes...

 > so why not just keep status quo?

And no :)

I've often encountered the kldload failure and I've always had to look
at the kernel logs to find out the actual reason. There are several
cases where kldload can fail, including recursively - when a module
fails to load as a dependancy of the module the user is trying to load,
for all the reasons a module can fail to load.

I think something should be done to make the message more descriptive
but statically changing the error message isn't it (except if the
message is changed to say "please look at the kernel syslog messages to
find out the real reason for this failure"). The best version would be
to export more data about what exactly was the failure and where it
happened.