Re: One-shot-oriented event timers management

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 16:18:34 +0200
Quoting Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org> (from Sun, 29 Aug 2010
16:10:00 +0300):

> I have actively tested this code for a few days on my amd64 Core2Duo
> laptop and i386 Core-i5 desktop system. With C2/C3 states enabled
> systems experience only about 100-150 interrupts per second, having HZ
> set to 1000. These events mostly caused by several event-greedy
> processes in our tree. I have traced and hacked several most aggressive
> ones in this patch: http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/tm6292_idle.patch .
> It allowed me to reduce down to as low as 50 interrupts per system,
> including IPIs!

It looks like you are comming to a point where Powertop would be
helpful. There's a dtracified version of it available at the
opensolaris site (it would at least need some additional dtrace probes
in our kernel).

http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+tesla/Powertop

Bye,
Alexander.