Re: Call for Documentation Contributors

From: Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 02:05:33 -0400
On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Gabor PALI <pgj_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I am looking for volunteers who are interested in writing
> documentation, i.e. working with the FreeBSD Handbook and the
> documentation set.  Many of our great documentation writers have
> decided to retire from their work over the last years, which means the
> FreeBSD Documentation Project is in need of talented, skilled,
> determined, and ambitious people who would help to maintain the
> tradition of producing high quality documentation for the FreeBSD
> operating system.
>
> The documentation set is prepared in DocBook that might seem a bit
> complicated at first sight, but I can assure you it can be learned
> quickly.  All you need is good writing skills in English, some
> knowledge of FreeBSD systems, and willingness to learn even more about
> them.  To coordinate and encourage the efforts, I have created a site
> [1] called "The FreeBSD Contributor's Documentation Project" that
> contains the necessary information.  Note that there are many ways of
> contribution: you can comment open Problem Reports or write patches
> (by using Mercurial Queues for example), etc. depending on your free
> time.  I can help with anything at the regular weekly IRC meetings,
> and you can contact me via email directly any time, and hopefully
> other documentation developers will also join me.
>

> Thank you for any help in advance.
>
> :g
>
> [1] http://doc.hu.freebsd.org/

I want to repeat my suggestion once more :

Please separate Handbook with respect to distributions , i.e. , maintain a
different Handbook for each distribution . I think , this is more easier to
maintain a combined Handbook . A combined Handbook is giving also an
impression that the both distinct distributions are the SAME . Then what is
the difference between distributions 7.3 and 8.1 ?  Personally I do NOT have
any idea about differences , because up to now I did not see such a document
associated with distributions .

The combined Handbook is making it very difficult to  make any improvement
suggestions , because it requires knowledge of related two distinct
distributions .

For example , the current Handbook is about Release 7.3 and 8.1 . If a
person is using 8.x series , and NOT 7.x series will be in difficulty to
identify her/his
suggestion whether it is contrary to her/his unused distribution .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk