Re: Call for Documentation Contributors

From: Adam Vande More <amvandemore_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 23:10:56 -0500
On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Daniel Gerzo <danger_at_rulez.sk> wrote:

> I actually think there is some point in this idea. The problem is that many
> times we just leave notes or warnings specific for given releases, which can
> many times lead to confusion (or people just don't notice) and as time goes
> and we cut the support for given releases they get stale (e.g. We had many
> of those for 5.x).
>
> We could just maintain the handbook in separate branches like we do with
> src, keeping them all built online, and merge relevant things where
> appropriate. This will, however, add quite a lot (for my taste) of
> additional work for us.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to have a nice article on installing
/usr/ports/misc/freebsd-doc-* from the date of the release of the installed
system?  Or maybe offer archive web access to a handbook snapshot from that
date(Django does something similar)?  Maintaining separate handbook branches
seems unrealistic if there aren't enough doc contributors to maintain one to
expectations, and IME discrepancies aren't very frequent.

--
Adam Vande More