Re: LAPIC timer reported as 0 Hz during boot

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 08:18:51 +0300
Bruce Cran wrote:
> Looking through a dmesg from today I noticed that the LAPIC timer is being
> reported as running at 0 Hz:
>
> Event timer "LAPIC" frequency 0 Hz quality 500

Frequency of LAPIC timer is not reported instantly. It requires
calibration to be discovered. Calibration requires time. To reduce boot
time I am not calibrating LAPIC timer until it is used first time. With
presence of HPET timer there is high chance that LAPIC timer will never
be calibrated on significant part of systems. It is not a bug.

--
Alexander Motin