Re: DHCP server in base

From: David DEMELIER <demelier.david_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 21:53:40 +0200
2010/9/11 Doug Barton <dougb_at_freebsd.org>:
> On 9/10/2010 1:48 PM, Aleksandr Rybalko wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> another argument about hostapd :) if have access point we must have
>> way to assign IP for AP clients.
>
> To start with, your assumption is wrong. DHCPd is not *actually* a
> requirement, although I admit that practically it is.
>
>> Last spring I made firmware based on FreeBSD for router with only 4MB
>> NOR flash (D-Link DIR-320).
>
> In this category (micro-miniaturization) you're already in the "significant
> customization needed" area, which means that general arguments about "the
> base" don't apply.
>
>> Since this device is router I must be
>> able to serve DHCP. And current implementation of dhcpclient, that we
>> have, is same isc-dhcp, and I replace system dhcpclient with ports
>> one+dhcpd but with small patch that put basic dhcp utils onto
>> libdhcp.so.
>
> Your argument is creative and well thought out, but I personally don't find
> it persuasive. Counter arguments that come immediately to mind are:
> 1. The DHCP server is not going to benefit any but a small minority of
> FreeBSD users.
> 2. The software is already available in the ports tree, and adding a
> port/package of it really is not an overwhelming burden.
>
> More generally, the main reason I want to keep more stuff out of the base,
> and remove some of the stuff that's in there now, is that it makes
> maintenance difficult across FreeBSD branches. We have a general policy that
> if we have a major version N of something in a release branch that we don't
> upgrade that major version without a really good reason to avoid POLA
> surprises for our users. Once again using BIND as an example, this has led
> to a really old and past-EOL version of BIND in FreeBSD 6 which I've only
> gotten away with because anyone doing serious DNS work nowadays has to
> upgrade to at least 9.6 anyway. But it's an ugly situation, and I don't want
> to repeat it.

I agree but like Aleksandr said, almost 70% of dhcp code is already in
base so adding 1Mb of dhcpd code wouldn't be too much. I like the idea
to keep some parts in the ports tree and move out from the base.

Perl is a great example, I don't really understand why it's in the
base, then the port need to rewrite the links into the base hierarchy
and I think this is bad.

--
Demelier David