Re: DHCP server in base

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:27:24 -0700
On 9/15/2010 7:25 AM, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> Yea.  I agree too.  Just because BIND was EOLd in 6 isn't a great
> argument against dhcp server.

That rather clearly was not the only element of my argument, and not
only is it disingenuous for you to indicate that it was, I don't
appreciate you doing so.

> Most of the code is there anyway, and it isn't evolving as fast as BIND.

That is actually a more rational argument, even if I don't agree with
it. FWIW, part of the reason that I don't agree with it is that at some
point, hopefully in the near future, we will want to include the DHCPv6
client in the mix somewhere; and when we do the code base is not going
to be as stable as we have enjoyed so far with the v4 dhclient.

> It would be very convenient to have this particular thing in the base,
> and we shouldn't be too dogmatic about never having any new 3rd party
> things in the base.  After all, we just added more compression
> utilities to the base, and nobody said a peep.

I actually thought that change was rather silly, but it was clear that
there was so much critical mass in favor of it that there was no point
in stating a dissenting opinion. As part of the project's leadership you
should be careful not to mistake silence for agreement, or worse, support.

> This is analogous: we
> have good opportunity to integrate into the system, and users benefit
> from that integration.

Given your perspective of wanting more of a complete system in the base
I can certainly see how you would be supportive of this change. My
intent was to make the argument in a general way that this is the wrong
direction to go, and that users would benefit *more* from a robust
modularized system. The fact that the v4 DHCPd might accidentally be a
good candidate for including in the base today doesn't mean that doing
so is the right strategy for the long term.

Doug

			-- Propellerheads