Re: [SPAM] Re: Error message while updating src for FreeBSD 9 current

From: Ralph Ellis <ralphellis1_at_netscape.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 01:10:20 -0400
Niclas Zeising wrote:
> On 2010-09-23 14:02, Bartosz Stec wrote:

>>> Try to recompile everything, or at least cvsup, and see if it works.
>>> //Niclas
>>
>> Niclas, did you perform 'make delete-old && make delete-old-libs' after
>> upgrade to CURRENT? If you did, many of your ports won't longer work
>> properly (or at all) because of missing libraries. If you didn't, you
>> definitely should do something like 'portupgrade -afrRi' and after you
>> done, you can get rid of these old files with commands above.
>
> You wouldn't get illegal instruction then though. Usually the
> application fails to load if dynamic libraries are missing.
>

>> Of course it could take VERY long time depending on installed ports and
>> machine spec., so if you just need to get your sources updated quickly I
>> recommend:
>>
>> 1. Try csup instead of cvsup. It's integrated in both 8.x and in
>> CURRENT, so should work "out of the box"
>
> That's a good idea.
>
>> 2. If you (for some strange reasons) want to stick to cvsup, you'll
>> probably make it work again by portupgrade -fR 'cvsup*'
>> 3. another approach is to get cvsup binaries from package instead of
>> compiling ports - check man pkg_add
>> 4. If you need cvsup to update ports tree, try portsnap instead. It's
>> faster and smarter, and integrated with system :) - check man portsnap
>>
>> Good luck!
>
> //Niclas

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
csup worked like a charm and solved the problem.  I will be rebuilding
my ports gradually, starting with the development ports like Perl, gcc,
clang etc.

I am also experimenting with a custom kernel where I am eliminating
drivers and modules for isa, wireless devices and hardware only found on
laptops.  The early results are encouraging. I run Folding_at_home in a
VirtualBox with Unbuntu x64 as a guest OS. Since trying a custom kernel,
floating point performance has improved over 20%.  This may also be due
to some kernel improvements in FreeBSD 9. So far I am very impressed
with the stability of the OS. I have not had problems with any of the
programs that I run on a regular basis. I had expected to hit more bugs.
I will get started on the rebuilds but with 1700 ports installed, I will
wait for a free weekend to compile the big stuff.
Thanks again
Ralph Ellis
ralphellis1_at_netscape.ca