Re: Safe-mode on amd64 broken

From: David Naylor <naylor.b.david_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 18:19:57 +0200
On Wednesday 29 September 2010 16:19:08 Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 29/09/2010 16:47 David Naylor said the following:

> >> Probably the kernel doesn't have 'device atpic' so disabling APIC
> >> probably breaks all interrupts.  A newer system might only describe
> >> APICs via the ACPI MADT table and not provide an MP Table.  In that
> >> case disabling ACPI would effectively disable APIC leading to the same
> >> result.
> >
> > Is APIC and ACPI disabled in safe-mode on amd64?
>
> Did you notice the code snippet below?

Yes, and it managed to confuse me.

> Specifically hint.acpi.0.disabled and hint.apic.0.disabled.
> Don't let "arch-i386" confuse you, it means "x86" in that context.
>
> > This is using GENERIC, perhaps atpic should be added to the config file,
> > or made mandatory for amd64 systems?
>
> I don't think so.  Especially given that hardware might not support !APIC
> case at all, even if you have atpic in your kernel.

Perhaps safe-mode is no longer a viable option and should be removed from the
boot menu, or renamed to "unsafe-mode"?

> Alternatively, perhaps just don't use this "Safe Mode"?
> What do you try to actually achieve?

I was trying to boot a system and it was panicking due to stray interrupts.
It turned out to be caused by HPET.  I found `hint.hpet.0.clock=0' which fixed
the problem.

This means HPET does not work on any of my machines.  The other one's symptoms
are hda losing interrupts after a period of up-time.