Re: letting glabel recognise a media change

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_icyb.net.ua>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:22:22 +0300
on 30/09/2010 01:28 Matthew Jacob said the following:
>  On 9/29/2010 2:45 PM, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> on 30/09/2010 00:12 Alexander Best said the following:
>>> hi there,
>>>
>>> i wanted to ask if it would be possible to asjust glabel so that e.g. inserting
>>> a new media into a dvd-drive gets recognised and glabel displays the lablel
>>> right away.
>> Yes, of course, as soon as we have in kernel a programmatic way to know that
>> media as changed.
>> We don't have one right now...
>>

> What announcement API would you like to add?

Not sure what kind of API you mean and if anything really needs to be added.
I think you already can easily trigger GEOM re-tasting.

> If something like that was in place, I assure you that things would start to use
> it very quickly.

I am not sure about this.
Because, e.g. I don't see an easy way to know that media is changed in scsi_cd
driver.  That is, without polling.  I don't consider polling to be an easy way for
a number of reasons.

--
Andriy Gapon