Re: multiple issues with devstat_*(9)

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 19:09:00 +0300
On 11.04.2011 18:43, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 23:19:31 +0300, Alexander Motin wrote:
>> Alexander Best wrote:
>>> 2) the pass* devices still don't show up under ide/scsi/other. that's ok, but
>>>     then the src comments and manual pages need to be changed accordingly.
>>
>> As I have told - it is a bug/feature of libdevstat. It should not be
>> difficult to fix, if it is really a bug.
>
> That was intentional, if I can remember what I intended in 1997/1998.
>
> The reason was that since there is one passthrough device created for every
> device that CAM manages, you don't want to show pass(4) devices when the
> user says 'iostat -t scsi'.  Otherwise he might get all pass(4) devices,
> depending on the order of devices in the system.
>
> But, if it's pass(4) devices you want, you can ask for them specifically,
> or for all SCSI/IDE pass(4) devices, as mav did above.

But it is impossible to get, for example, all SCSI devices including
pass. Either only non-pass, or pass only.

It is strange that if I won't specify "-t" (most probable for
inexperienced users), I'll gel all devices including pass, but if
specify "-t scsi" (as more advanced user who knows what to ask), I'll
get only non-pass. It is at least inconsistent.

--
Alexander Motin