Re: Switch from legacy ata(4) to CAM-based ATA

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 21:54:52 +0300
Bruce Cran wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:21:48 +0300
> Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> Verbose dmesg from the fresh system would be appreciated.
>
> I've put a verbose dmesg at
> http://www.cran.org.uk/~brucec/freebsd/dmesg.verbose_20110420.txt

Thank you. I've compared your and Daniel dmesgs, and while they are
showing different emulated controllers, the problems seems to be common:
ata_generic_reset() reports two devices on the channel with CD, while
there is only one. As result, attempts to send requests to the missing
device predictably cause timeouts. I have doubts that problem is
specific to CAM-based ATA. It looks more probable to me that difference
is just in command timeouts: 1 second with legacy ATA, and 30 seconds
with CAM. Could you show me verbose dmesg with legacy ATA to make sure?
Same time I'll try to think what can we do about it.

--
Alexander Motin