Re: Switch from legacy ata(4) to CAM-based ATA

From: Bruce Cran <bruce_at_cran.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:07:42 +0100
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 07:51:56 +0000
"Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote:

> a) we MUST HAVE a transition scheme if we cam-base ATA by default.
> Something that converts things automatically to whatever?  That's not
> been done in more than one year.  It's not acceptable to update,
> reboot and not find the root file system no matter what.  We all
> agreed on that back then.  I do not really care how it's done. I have
> been testing cam based ata for a while now on the machines I can cope
> with as a developer and even then I screwed the transition partly two
> times in the last months.  How's a normal user to do that flawlessly?

In particular it's fairly common that the mapping isn't adX ->
adaX. I've come across cases where ata(4) created ad10, ad12, ad16,
etc. which got mapped to ada0, ada1, ada2 etc.  When combined with a USB
keyboard that often doesn't work at the root mount prompt, recovery can
be a bit tricky.

--
Bruce Cran