Re: xterm termcape :ti_at_:te_at_:

From: Thomas Dickey <dickey_at_radix.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 09:48:38 -0400
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 10:23:43PM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> > What does the included termcap for xterm-xfree86 look like?
>
> xterm-new|modern xterm:\
looks ok - no hidden "ti" or "te" capabilities lurking in that.

> > odd - even if you were using an application that uses the terminfo
> > entry rather than the modified termcap, that should prevent the
> > screen-switching.
>
> i test with less

normally I test with ded (using ncurses and terminfo).
But "less" behaves consistently (referring to the testing mentioned below).

> > What does "xterm -v" say?
>
> no xterm on the remote sys.  the local sys is macosx snow leopard, and
>
> % xterm -v
> XTerm(251)

Actually, I "have" that in my current configuration, but don't use it
(their insistence on using the option/command buttons in the "emulate
three-button mouse" rather than shift is cumbersome).  So (except for
testing), I use my compiled #269 (with the toolbar).

However... the menu-entry seems to work for me here, testing with the
bundled #251.

> note that my ti_at_:te_at_: hack works when the remote sys is 7-stable or
> releng_8.  it's just 9-current

I don't have 9-current (8.1 is here, as a VM).  But I'm puzzled: if you
were reporting the reverse case (expecting alternate screen-switching to
occur), it would be good to collect a typescript from "script" and verify
if the control sequences were sent.  But this doesn't offer that possibility
since it's doing a function that the menu entry itself should prevent.

While it's possible to have conflicting resource-settings, the menu
entry isn't affected by that (discarding another possibility).

If I saw something like this first-hand, I'd compile a copy of xterm
to compare (and look at its debugging trace).  My local compiles on
Mac OS X are only x86_64 so far -

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net