Re: print_INTEL_info/print_INTEL_TLB

From: Jung-uk Kim <jkim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 13:44:18 -0400
On Monday 01 August 2011 12:17 pm, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Monday, August 01, 2011 10:28:21 am Andriy Gapon wrote:
> > on 01/08/2011 15:47 John Baldwin said the following:
> > >
> > > parameters

> > > It might be nice to create a sys/x86/x86/identcpu.c to merge
> > > the two which would help with some of this.
> >
> > I agree with this suggestion regardless of the issue at hand.
> >
> > > print_INTEL_TLB() hasn't been updated since it
> > > was added AFAIK which probably explains why it doesn't know
> > > about all of the codes.
> >
> > Given the current state of this code - is it useful at all?
> > Should we keep it in kernel provided that there are tools like
> > cpuid, x86info, etc...? I would have no doubts if we gathered
> > that information for some real use by kernel and then also
> > printed it for user's convenience.  But if the code is there just
> > for printing (and under bootverbose), then I am not really sure.
>
> Yeah, I would be fine with just tossing it.

Tossing print_INTEL_info() entirely or just print_INTEL_TLB()?

If we are going to remove print_INTEL_info(), then I think we should
do the same for print_AMD_info() (except for the last warning message
in the function) because it's going to have the fate sooner or later,
i.e., unmaintained and rot (if it isn't already).

Jung-uk Kim