Re: fsid change of ZFS?

From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 23:12:21 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 20 Aug 2011, Rick Macklem wrote:

>> Yes, using vfs_getnewfsid() does not solve the issue.
>>
>> I noticed that Solaris looked up a fixed array vfssw[] exactly for
>> the purpose. I think a table like it is a good solution for fixing
>> fsid for each file system.
>>
>> -- Hiroki
> If anyone thinks using a fixed table to assign vfc_typenum for known
> file system types is a bad idea, please let us know.

Fixed table sounds like a good plan.
Is there a reason for/against using a hash table for types that are not in
the fixed table?  The advantage would be that out-of-tree filesystems get
a consistent typenum (modulo hash collisions), but there would be more
overhead in maintaining the table.

-Ben Kaduk