Re: Well, there goes Windows!

From: Andrey V. Elsukov <bu7cher_at_yandex.ru>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 19:45:03 +0400
On 22.08.2011 17:13, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>> Actually you can destroy underlying MBR geom without committing, just
>> use "force" flag.
>> But there is another problem, the metadata of nested scheme will not
>> deleted and it might
>> appear again when you create new MBR and new partition in the same place.
>
> This isn't true for nested partitioning, at least in my experience.

You can try:
# mdconfig -s 100m
# gpart create -s mbr md0
# gpart add -t freebsd md0
# gpart create -s bsd md0s1
# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs md0s1
# gpart destroy -F -f x md0

But when you create MBR again:
# gpart create -f x -s mbr md0
# gpart add -f x -t fat32 md0

Now the old BSD scheme will be detected:
=>     9  204791  md0  MBR  (100M)
       9  204786    1  fat32  (100M)
  204795       5       - free -  (2.5k)

=>     0  204786  md0s1  BSD  (100M)
       0  204786      1  freebsd-ufs  (100M)

The forced destroying does not work for the case when you destroyed
nested scheme before MBR, e.g.

# gpart destroy -f x -F md0s1
# gpart destroy -f x -F md0
gpart: Device busy

It's because the first destroying is not committed and provider md0s1 is
still opened:
# gpart list md0s1 | grep Mode
   Mode: r1w1e1 <-----

--