Console problem with ALT-F# keys

From: Pegasus Mc Cleaft <ken_at_mthelicon.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 01:56:04 +0100
Hello Current,

	I have recently discovered a problem and I was wondering if anyone
has experienced this or if they can verify that it is not just my hardware.

	I am running FreeBSD 9.0-BETA1 r225125 compiled with LLVM on a Xeon
processor (CPUTYPE=core2 and CFLAGS= -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3 -O2
-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe)

	I have recently installed this into a new machine and had chance to
use the console for building kernel and ports (not to mention moving tons of
files from one server to another.) What I am seeing is when I switch
consoles from one to another, if I do them quickly there is no problem -
Things work as I expect them to.  However, if I keep the ALT key pressed for
about 5 seconds and then hit another F key, it acts as if I had released the
ALT key and presents only the F-key code to the console.  I have tried a few
experiments to try and help diagnose the problem.

	All the below tests were done with a keyboard attached to the PS2
port:

	1)  If you hold down the ALT key only for any length of time, the
next F key will register as ALT-F#

	2) If you do an ALT-F key and then continue to hold the ALT key down
and within about 5 seconds strike another F-key, the console will see the
ALT-F key correctly.

	3) If you do an ALT-F key and the continue to hold the ALT key -
wait more than about 5 seconds and then strike another f-key, the console
will only see the F-Key strike.

	Since this is a new machine and the first install of BSD on it, I
don't have anything to eliminate a hardware quirk with it. Its possible it
may be the machine - I don't know.  Would someone be willing to try the
above tests and if its a BSD issue, I can submit a PR for it.

Thanks
Peg