Re: CLANG; still cc in use when building the WORLD with CLANG?

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 12:27:03 -0700
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Hartmann, O.
<ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On 08/30/11 19:58, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>>
>> On 2011-08-30 18:44, Alex Kuster wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for pointing out those details !
>>> This whole thing about make.conf&  src.conf is very confusing and gives
>>> the
>>> impression of something half ported ...
>>
>> The only thing that is "half ported" at the moment, is an easy "use
>> clang to build world" switch.  This will be properly addressed after 9.0
>> is released.  As to the make.conf/src.conf confusion, it is very simple
>> really:
>>
>> - make.conf is used for system-wide settings, applied to every build
>>  using make.
>>
>> - src.conf is used for setting FreeBSD source tree settings, which are
>>  always of the form WITH_XXX or WITHOUT_XXX.  See src.conf(5) for a
>>  full list.  Any other "make" settings, such as CC, CFLAGS, etc, are
>>  better specified in make.conf, though the manpage does not tell you
>>  so explicitly.
>
> This is as I understood the manpage of src.conf. There is only a YES/set and
> NO/unset.

No. There is only set and unset. WITH_option="NO" has the same effect as
WITH_option="YES".

I think this is confusing and often leads to unintended
consequences, but I and also say that some of the WITH_options documented
for src.conf (the man page is auto-generated from the code) are either
non-functional or broken. I've had some interesting issues with unexpected
interactions of WITH_options, as well. Be very careful!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558_at_gmail.com