Re: howto: enabling journaling on softupdates

From: Hartmann, O. <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 20:02:38 +0200
On 08/31/11 19:56, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Hartmann, O.
> <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>  wrote:
>>    I try to find a suitable reading/howto for how to enable softupdates
>>    on
>>    UFS2 filesystems.
> Agreed. Added to http://wiki.freebsd.org/DocsFor9x .
Many thanks.

>> As I could see, SU+J is enlisted to be enabled by default in 9.0-RELEASE.
> Yes, it is on by default in bsdinstall (and I think in newfs? I could be wrong).
Great!

>>    What is the status quo of that? I've several active systems running
>>    UFS2 on their system disks while data/home/mass storage is ZFS.
>>    Are their any issue with SU+J?
> I haven't been tracking what's been going on, but several bugfixes
> have gone in in the last couple of months post-SUJ. There might be
> some bugs in the work, but most standard operations work out of the
> box for me at least.

>>    I hit was "-J", the option for enabling softupdate via GEOM gjournal.
> Yeah, it's confusing..
>
>>    Is there any special preparation to bring up an existing filesystem
>>    securely into
>>    journaling? As I read the blogs and emails in the list, it should be
>>    as simple
>>    as booting into single user mode, enabling on all partitions in
>>    question (even / ?)
> Yes.
>
>>    via -j softupdate-journaling, runing a foreground fsck, reboot ...
>>    that's it?
> If all goes well, that was the entire process IIRC.

To late ... ;-) I couldn't resist the temptation, shut down the box,
reboot single user mode,
enabled "-j" (the lower letter `j' !!!), did a full fsck -y ... rebooted
>>    Or is there any other additional preparation like mentioned in gjournal
>>    (async mount)?
> ENOCLUE (because I'm not aware of that with gjournal -- the last time
> I tried setting it up things didn't work too well for me) :).
>
>>    Thanks for patience and repsonding,
> Sure :)!
> -Garrett

... and here I am again with SU+J on my box ;-)

Tomorrow, I will perform this step on all servers. I guess it's a "worth
having".

Oliver