Re: WITHOUT_PROFILE=yes by default

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon_at_orthanc.ca>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 07:56:13 -0800 (PST)
Max, I think a reasonable default is to continue building and shipping
profiled libraries.  This keeps FreeBSD consistent with every other UNIX
variant released in the last (at least) 30 years.

If you personally find profiled library builds slow you down too much, a
one line addition to your /etc/src.conf solves the problem for you.

Personally, I find building kernel modules to be intolerably slow, since
I tend to run static linked kernels.  I dealt with my preference by
adding one line to my /etc/src.conf, not by submitting a patch request to
disable the functionality in the builds.

If you choose not to profile your code, that's entirely your choice.
Breaking this functionality for everyone else who *does* make the effort
to profile their code is a non-starter.

--lyndon