Re: WITHOUT_PROFILE=yes by default

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon_at_orthanc.ca>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 10:27:21 -0800 (PST)
> In this case, 'obsolete' means it's a difficult-to-use tool that
> requires recompiling your application, can't be used in production,
> doesn't work when shared libraries are in the picture, offers
> limited-to-no visibility into the underlying reasons why a particular
> code path is a hotspot and introduces large measurement errors

No, it just means it doesn't work for you.  It does work for me, though.
And for many others.  Many a time I have shipped a profiled binary off to
a customer site to determine where they are having performance problems.
This works because they don't need to install any third-party tools or
jump through other hoops.  It's not perfect, but it is a useful debugging
tool.

The arguments I keep hearing here are "I don't (understand how to
effectively) use this tool, therefore it should be removed."
Collectively that argument can be applied to each and every component of
FreeBSD when taken across the entire user base.  Thus we can infinately
optimize the builds though 'rm -rf /usr/src'.

Now can we please just leave WITHOUT_PROFILE alone and go fix real bugs?
If it will help, I will toss in a few hundred bucks to help Max buy a
faster build machine.

--lyndon