Re: Upgrade contributed gperf, m4 and flex

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 20:22:06 +0100
On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 11:16:33PM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 08:01:37PM +0100, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> > and last: upgrade flex to the latest upstream version (it will need the m4
> > upgrade) while here I'll move back flex to contrib/
> > patches can be found there:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/flex-update.diff
>
> Hi Baptiste,
> I cannot tell from this what you are really doing.
>
> It would likely be best to keep the old history, so that would involve
> a 'svn move usr.bin/lex contrib/flex'.
>
> Additionally if flex is now considered to be 3rd-party code (signified by
> living in contrib/) it should be imported we into '$REPO/base/vendor'.
>
> These actions would give a different diff than that above.
>
> Do you have a diff that shows what the real changes to FreeBSD are?

There are about no changes to FreeBSD, all the changes that were added in our
tree in the old version found their way into the upstream version I have two
warning fixes, one in the generated code, and on the the flex code itself, I'm
planning to push them upstream. concerning the push into contrib, it was just to
try to do things the same way other contributed code are in our tree, maybe I
should just let it into the usr.bin/lex, I have no real opinion on this, I
thought it would have been cleaner living in contrib.

> > I also plan to upgrade m4 syncing code from openbsd, taking code from netbsd
> > (improve gnu m4 compatibility).
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/update_m4_from_openbsd_and_netbsd.diff
>
> We don't seen to have '$REPO/base/vendor/OpenBSD/m4' as we likely should.
> How different is our usr.bin/m4 from OpenBSD's?

I didn't create a directory in vendor as our version is already from openbsd
without the vendor entry, and lots of code like this one (ie from other bsd) do
not have their entry in vendor, for example makefs and no one asked me to push
it into vendor/NetBSD at that time, once again if this the right way to do, I'll
create the OpenBSD/m4.

Concerning the difference with the OpenBSD version this is only cosmetics and
warning fixes: function declared in a old fashion way, and small things like
that, also took some fixes and way to build it from NetBSD (importing ohash
which they took from OpenBSD).

> > http://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/upgrade-gperf-to-3.0.3.diff
>
> I assume an import into '$REPO/base/vendor/gperf/' will happen first?
> ['$REPO/base/vendor/gperf/' needs to be "flattend out" first]
I missed that one, I'll fix it as soon as possible.

> thanks,

Thanks for feedback.

regards,
Bapt