Re: CVS removal from the base

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 14:45:34 -0800
On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Michiel Boland <michiel_at_boland.org> wrote:
> On 12/03/2011 17:29, Sean M. Collins wrote:
> [...]
>
>> all the development work is being done on SVN
>> and then is exported back to CVS, if I am not mistaken[1].
>
> [...]
>
> Aren't ports still updated with CVS?

    Just to back up that point: until CVS is completely unused by
releng (docs, ports are still done via CVS), it really shouldn't be
removed from base (no matter how broken or undeveloped it is).
WITHOUT_CVS (assuming that the knob actually works as advertised
unlike many of our other knobs -- which last time I checked did in
fact work) in /etc/src.conf suffices for now.
Thanks,
-Garrett

<off-topic>
I used to work with a group that used CVS extensively for managing
changes to FreeBSD. It made my life a lot easier when we need to
evaluate changes to code with FreeBSD to ensure we were license
compliant.. it was very difficult to have to wade through with Protex
Blackduck because it tosses up a ton of false positives, so any way we
could avoid doing that by using an SCM that produces sane output which
cv?sup doesn't currently do, all for the better.
</off-topic>