Re: CVS removal from the base

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 12:19:59 -0800
On 12/3/11 6:40 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> The problem I have with all of this is pretty simple.
>
> With the CVS in base, it's treated like the (mostly) rest of the
> system in a stable release - ie, people don't simply keep updating it
> to the latest and greatest without some testing. If there are any
> critical bugs or security flaws, they're backported. The port isn't
> upgraded unless it has to be, and then if it's a major update, there
> are plenty of eyeballs to review it. It's in /src, after all.
>
> But with ports, the ports tree only has the "latest" version or two;
> sometimes a few major versions to choose from (eg apache), but we
> don't maintain the same kind of package versions that Linux operating
> system packages do.
>
> So it's entirely possible the "CVS" port maintainer updates the port
> to the latest and greatest, which works for him - and it breaks
> someone's older CVS repository somehow.
>
> I'd be happier with the idea of things moving into ports if the ports
> tree did have stable snapshots which had incremental patches for
> bug/security fixes, rather than "upgrade to whatever the port
> maintainer chooses."
>
> I'm all for change, but it seems those pushing forward change seem to
> be far exceeding the comfortable level of more conservative people; or
> those with real needs. Those who have relied on FreeBSD's stable
> release source tree being that - stable - whilst ports moves along
> with the latest and greatest as needed. It doesn't matter that you may
> do a fantastic job with a stable CVS  port - what matters is how
> people perceive what you're doing. It just takes one perceived screwup
> here for the view to shift that "freebsd is going the way of linux".
> And then we lose a whole lot of what public "good" opinion FreeBSD
> has. ;-)

I propose we create a companion directory to src in SVN and cal it
"sysports"
it uses the ports infrastructure in organization (though may be more
hierarchical)
but is populated with items that have come out of the 'src' tree.
it is shipped along with src and revisioned WITH src.

basically a privileged set of "primary" packages.
both ports and src maintainers have access to them and they
are tested as part of the release engineering process.