Re: CVS removal from the base

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 14:26:06 -0800
On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Doug Barton <dougb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 12/4/2011 12:19 PM, Julian Elischer wrote:
>
>> I propose we create a companion directory to src in SVN and cal it
>> "sysports"
>> it uses the ports infrastructure in organization (though may be more
>> hierarchical)
>> but is populated with items that have come out of the 'src' tree.
>> it is shipped along with src and revisioned WITH src.
>>
>> basically a privileged set of "primary" packages.
>> both ports and src maintainers have access to them and they
>> are tested as part of the release engineering process.
>
> Julian,
>
> You've proposed this before, and the more I've thought about it the more
> I like it. :)  In fact, the other day a bunch of us in #bsdports were
> kicking it around and the idea was generally well received. (I think we
> slightly preferred the category "system," but that's an implementation
> detail.)
>
> My (personal) plan is to start pushing for this after the 9.0-RELEASE,
> and after the ports repo svn conversion. That's one of the reasons that
> I want to start socializing the idea now.
>
> In regards to having this new category be supported as part of the
> release process, we've already received tentative support from the
> release engineering team for the idea of having a small number of
> critical packages on the install medium and offered to the user as
> options at install time. So the seeds have been planted for this idea,
> and I'm hoping to see it grow in the coming months.
>

> Doug

This seems too reasonable a suggestion, but, as always, the devil is
in the details. There will be long. painful discussions (and
arguments) about what to remove from the base to the new structure and
what things currently NOT in the base should be promoted.

As to what to name the new area, I vote for burnt orange with blue
trim. Go Broncos! (American football for those out of the Estados
Unidos.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558_at_gmail.com