Re: CVS removal from the base

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 14:00:08 +0100
From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org>
> which brings up teh possibility of 1st class ports.. which are kept
> more  as part of the system..
> (sorry for sounding like a broken  record..)

Interesting idea, to bounce the idea around a bit:
It would extend the spectrum to
	/usr/src/ ..Most..
	/usr/src/ contrib
	1st class ports ... in src or ports or elsewhere ? ...
		(if elsewhere, work to reconfig mirrors & to. doc
		 new struct later)
	/usr/ports 	currently 22906
An empty current ports tree takes 485 M (& a lot of inodes which
	occasionaly trips people).
A current src tree takes 705 M
Ports has lots of commiters
Src has less & partly different commiters & stricter watched
& more release aligned.

Maybe sometime we will see a project arise that will be a replacement
ports/ for more than one BSD, perhaps even extending to Linux, (to
avoid reinventing of the wheel that must go on with ports skeletal
structs for each OS) ( maybe with an RFC for a port/ skeleton struct
?  If so, that may have ramifications on bits of src moved to ports.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".