Re: CVS removal from the base

From: Lucas Holt <luke_at_foolishgames.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 11:07:51 -0500
There is also mirports from MirBSD that  is supported on MirBSD, MidnightBSD, and Mac OS X. They also got a pkgsrc port going recently. The problem is that projects have specific needs that other systems don't have. FreeBSD ports are by far the largest and very fast to build. Pkgsrc comes out quarterly so it takes a long time to get patches in or updates as Dragonfly goes through. With MidnightBSD, we wanted all ports to go through fake install so our packages would work all the time and we could write package tools customized for the ports tree.

Every BSD has different needs and different users.

Lucas Holt