Re: dogfooding over in clusteradm land [cvs2svn for ports]

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:04:17 -0800
On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Sean Bruno <seanbru_at_yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 05:20 -0800, Sean Bruno wrote:
>> We're seeing what looks like a syncher/ufs resource starvation on 9.0 on
>> the cvs2svn ports conversion box.  I'm not sure what resource is tapped
>> out.  Effectively, I cannot access the directory under use and the
>> converter application stalls out waiting for some resource that isn't
>> clear. (Peter had posited kmem of some kind).
>>
>> I've upped maxvnodes a bit on the host, turned off SUJ and mounted the
>> f/s in question with async and noatime for performance reasons.
>>
>> Can someone hit me up with the cluebat?  I can give you direct access to
>> the box for debuginationing.
>>
>> Sean
>
> BTW, this project is sort of stalled out by this problem.

A few things come to mind (in no particular order):

1. What does svn say before it dies?
2. What does df for the affected partition output?
3. Do you have syslog output that indicates where the starvation is occurring?
4. What do the following sysctls print out?

kern.maxvnodes kern.minvnodes vfs.freevnodes vfs.wantfreevnodes vfs.numvnodes

5. What does top / vmstat -z say for memory right before svn goes south?
6. Are you running the import as an unprivileged user, or root?
7. Has the login.conf been changed on the box?

Thanks,
-Garrett