Re: [CFT] pkgng alpha2

From: Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 02:09:00 +0200
On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 19:56:05 +0200
Andriy Gapon <avg_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> on 13/12/2011 19:22 Julien Laffaye said the following:

> >> Couple of questions/suggestions:
> >>
> >> 1. Do you plan to have a pkgng port to issue the preview releases
> >> pkgng? Current pkgng installation/bootstrap procedure is really
> >> easy, but the port would be even more convenient for prospective
> >> testers.
> > Yes, this is planned. The ports will bootstrap pkgng.
>
> Great!

The current idea is to have everything in ports so that we don't depend
on the base OS for any kind of changes; we'll only have a bootstrap in
base. One more step forward to decoupling ports from src releases.

> >> 2. Is there a public pre-built package repository with
> >> pkgng-format packages that could be used for testing and getting a
> >> taste of a packages-only pkgng-managed system?
> > Unfortunately, no.
> > I think I now have the resources to do that  for the next CFT. But
> > it will only be 9.0 amd64 I am afraid.
> > We cant build packages for the entire matrix.
>
> I understand.  Those would take an immense amount of compilation time
> and storage space.

Storage and especially storage / propagation to mirrors are the biggest
problems.
After pkgNG goes in, we plan to switch HEAD to it and provide only
pkgNG packages for it; then probably the same for 9-STABLE and further
9 releases, but we'll probably need to provide current style of
pacakges during 9.x life time :(

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu_at_FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B