Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 08:32:48 +0100
Just saw this shot benchmark on Phoronix dot com today:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTAyNzA

It may be worth to discuss the sad performance of FBSD in some parts of
the benchmark. A difference of a factor 10 or 100 is simply far beyond
disapointing, it is more than inacceptable and by just reading those
benchmarks, I'd like to drop thinking of using FreeBSD even as a backend
server in scientific and business environments. In detail, some of the
SciMark benches look disappointing. The overall image can't help over
the fact that in C-Ray FreeBSD is better performing.

From the compiler, I'd like say there couldn't be a drop of more than 10
- 15% in performance - but not 10 or 100 times.

I'm just thinking about the discussion of SCHED_ULE and all the saur
spots we discussed when I stumbled over the test.

Regards,
Oliver