Re: Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

From: Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 15:16:55 +0200
IMHO, no offence, as always.

As were told, Phoronix used "default" setup, not tuned.
So? Is average user will tune it after setup? No, he'll get same defaults,
and would expect same performance as in tests, and he probably get it.
The problem of FreeBSD is not it's default settings, some kind of very-safe
defaults really should be there.
But problem really is lacking of choosing them (defaults) during install,
for average users.
For example, few checkboxes with common sysctl tuning would be perfect,
even if they would be marked as "Experimental", or not recommended.
I'm thinking it's better way to make something in one place (like in
installer) rather than require make almost same actions in many (hundreds
of thousands?... more?...) places (end-users forced to read
mail-lists/handbooks/forums over and over for same solutions).
Simple example - many connections for PostgreSQL is not available on
FreeBSD out-of-box. Just google "postgresql freebsd max connection" and
you'll see how many there bikesheds requested and same solutions posted
again and again :)

FreeBSD currently have very obscure, closed community. To get in touch, you
need to subscribe to several mail lists, constantly read them, I've just
found recently (my shame of course) in mail list that there is service (
pub.allbsd.org) which constantly building current versions. This is great,
but at homepage of freebsd.org there is no word about it :)

I hope we all do something good about this, and things will going to change.

--
Regards,
Alexander Yerenkow