Re: can a wrong alignment cause a decrease in a hdd's life expectancy?

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 23:01:15 +0000
In message <20111219225633.GA77147_at_freebsd.org>, Alexander Best writes:

>no problem. so will the improper alignment also not cause a life expectancy
>shortage in case of a hdd (non-flash-based)?

Well, theoretically you will have more track-to-track seeks, as some
blocks will span cylinders, but I doubt that will have measurable
impact on lifetime, compared with the gains you could harvest if you
spin it down for even just 1 hour a day...

Read-Only/Read-Write makes no difference that I know of for hard-disks.

>and one other question: the hdd also supports usb 3. will the improper
>alignment have any effect (speed wise) when connected via usb 3, or is even
>usb 3 too slow to notice the performance drop due to the improper alignment?

Again: I doubt it will be measurable.