Re: VM images for FreeBSD

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 08:38:04 +0100
On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 01:52:40AM +0200, Alexander Yerenkow wrote:
> 2011/12/21 Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_freebsd.org>

> > > that got svn-up'ed and all goes again).
> > > It shouldn't be complex to install to image from installation media
> > and/or
> > > tarballs, but mine main idea is to have rolling image for making some
> > > automated tests.
> > > Currently I'm establishing building and providing images scheme, will do
> > > images with KMS+small graphical programs, with qt+unstable KDE, and
> > > probably with BHyVe. I think that's most useful setups currently. And
> > maybe
> > > some image for benchmarking :)
> > >

> > FYI I have been working on a ova file generator for the release, I manage
> > create ova images that do work on VirtualBox without problems, there are
> > still
> > some problems with vmware for now, the goal is to have a standard vm ready
> > image
> > (ova is standard) that would work on every system that do support it.
> >

> This is good :)
> Do you have some scripts left?

You can try it here: http://git.etoilebsd.net/vmdkimage/ currently this is a
quick and dirty make-vmdk.sh script I imported vmdkimage.c from Haiku, converted
it from C++ to C and make some changes so that it is able to build scsi vmdk
images (vmware needs scsi disk).

You can use it that way: ./make-vmdk.sh 4 90-RC3 test9

You will get a tes9.ova.xz image the disk size will be a 4G one, the xz will
take 100M. you can import it in vbox it will work ootb, it should work on vmware
I hope, currently no feedback on vmware for the last changes.

Here is an example
http://files.etoilebsd.net/ova/test9.ova.xz

No tunning on the OS yet

regards,