Re: clang (__builtin_ffs) vs /usr/include/string.h

From: Larry Rosenman <ler_at_lerctr.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 03:31:26 -0600
Lsof......
And this seems like a contradiction between the string.h declaration and the built-in one.

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk_at_MIT.EDU> wrote:

Hi Larry,

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011, Larry Rosenman wrote:

> Is anyone going to fix the following in the clang or FreeBSD system?

I haven't seen any mention of __builtin_ffs on any freebsd lists since
your thread in october, "system headers with clang?". That rather makes
me suspect that no one else is seeing this "problem". It's hard to fix
something you don't know about.

> In file included from /usr/include/string.h:45:
> /usr/include/strings.h:47:6: error: conflicting types for '__builtin_ffs'
> int ffs(int) __pure2;
> ^
> /usr/include/machine/cpufunc.h:140:24: note: expanded from:
> #define ffs(x) __builtin_ffs(x)
> ^
> /usr/include/strings.h:47:6: note: '__builtin_ffs' is a builtin with
> type 'int (unsigned int)'
> 7 warnings and 1 error generated.
> *** Error code 1

As such, since we don't know what the "problem" is, some context for what
is going on here would be useful -- what are you trying to compile? Still
lsof?

> This looks like something that needs to change in clang/FreeBSD headers.

Not necessarily -- things from the machine/ hierarchy are pretty uncommon,
and I wouldn't be surprised if they had dependencies and ordering
requirements involved. It could well be an application error, but we
can't tell, since there is no context.

-Ben Kaduk