xdm/login: in openpam_check_path_owner_perms(): /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so.5 not found

From: Hartmann, O. <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 23:09:23 +0100
OS: FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT/amd64 r228787

Since the last update of world yesterday were I managed to compile the
OS WITH_LIBCPLUSPLUS=YES in /etc/src.conf,
only root is capable to login on the console.

I use OpenLDAP 2.4 as the backend for usual users, having also an
"emergency" user installed in the local /etc/passwd just in case.

The problem is, I can not login via xdm or console login anymore as any
usual user, even not as a user residing in the local passwd file.

Trying to login as LDAP backed user, I get the error
SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
Login icorrect

Inspecting /var/log/auth.log reveals for this incident

login: in openpam_check_path_owner_perms():
/usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so.5: No such file or directory

Trying tologin as a local (/etc/passwd backed) user gets
sometimes the same login issue, but sporadically I get a login but
landing in / instead of /home/user. /home is a ZFS volume.

I reinstalled pam_ldap, nss_ldap, openldap-sasl-server/client many times
now since I suspected a fault in compilation (everything is compiled via
CLANG), but I have no success.

/usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so.5 does not exist, it is simply pam_ldap.so.

It seems, that the OS can not find the homes on the ZFS volume. Doing a
su - USER works for all LDAP users but not the local users, I receive
the error su: no directory. This is very strange. While su -  as root
does not work, login as such a failing user work, but as mentioned
without home.

The last thing I did on that box is: I recompiled yesterday evening
world, switched the box off. When I switched the box on today, I ran
into this issue.

I recompile the system without flag WITH_LIBCPLUSPLUS and see what is
happening. Do others also see this strange behaviour?

Regards,

Oliver