Re: Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

From: Daniel Kalchev <daniel_at_digsys.bg>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 11:07:07 +0200
On 23.12.11 03:17, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Or even look at the thread regarding to SCHED_ULE. Why has a user,
> experiencing really worse performance with SCHED_ULE, in a nearly
> scientific manner some engineer the fault? I'd expect the developer or
> care-taking engineer taking care in a more user friendly manner.

You remember that those developers are not paid to do what they do?
You remember that nobody has sold you this OS and promised support in
whatever form?

Still, this issue is discussed publicly and experiments are being made,
I guess also new code is being experimented.
If you are interested in the outcome, just follow the discussion. If you
can help with something and you are willing, please do. There will be
good solution to the SCHED_ULE shortcomings.

FreeBSD is unique group of people, who all sit on their eggs, be it eggs
they themselves produced, or they inherited one way or another. These
people include all the developers and most of the system administrators
and users of FreeBSD. There is no "they" and "us".

If your preference for the OS is different, you might feel more
comfortable in choosing another OS, probably a commercial OS with
support from the vendor.

> If a benchmark reveals some severe weak points in FreeBSD and I have
> to read about obscure tweaks of non documented sysctl, then this OS
> would be a no-go if I was a manager to make decissions.

Luckily, managers do not care about knobs or how difficult it is for the
system administrator to achieve specific goal. All they care is the
bottom line in general and in short therm the goals they have set. No
sane manager will care about benchmarks, as long as he gets what he wants.

Back, to the Phoronix benchmarks. There has already been communication.
Phoronix were given advices on how to better do some things on FreeBSD
(which will make the quality of their benchmarks better and therefore
more trusted). Phoronix has made their updated test suite available to
FreeBSD users (that include developers) to try on their own hardware. By
the way, it is in /usr/ports/benchmarks/phoronix-test-suite.

Linux and FreeBSD are not enemies, they both solve the same problems
with different means.

Daniel