Re: GCC debug flags cleanup

From: Alexander Kabaev <kabaev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 20:50:07 -0500
On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 12:52:45 +0100
Erik Cederstrand <erik_at_cederstrand.dk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've created a patch that cleans up FreeBSD Makefiles that
> unconditionally set the -g flag for GCC. The motivation for this is
> that it should be possible to add or remove this flag globally via
> e.g. CFLAGS (it's part of my quest to produce deterministic builds).
>
> I'm not very familiar with GCC or the build infrastructure, so I'd be
> grateful if someone would review it and possibly commit.
>
> http://dev.affect-it.dk/gcc_debug_flags.diff
>
> Thanks,
> Erik_______________________________________________

gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_tools/Makefile just builds tools that are used for
building gcc itself and are non installed anywhere outside of $OBJDIR.
I doubt disabling -g there buys you much, but having it there is also
of questionable value. Verdict: could not care less either way.

All of the gcc/contrib changes are useless - we are not using any of
stock Makefiles.

sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC - please understang _why_ it is there before you
remove it. When you do, you will probably will drop the idea.

--
Alexander Kabaev