Re: Removal of sysinstall from HEAD and lack of a post-install configuration tool

From: Justin Hibbits <jhibbits_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 21:23:42 -0500
On Dec 26, 2011, at 6:36 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

> The story so far ...
>
> sysinstall was removed from HEAD in October. I (and others) objected
> on
> the basis that at this time there is no replacement for the post-
> install
> configuration role that sysinstall played. More sysinstall components
> were then removed. Then the old version of libdialog (which sysinstall
> used) was removed. Thus at this point it's not possible to easily
> restore sysinstall.
>
> So my question is, how much do you care? Is lack of that functionality
> in HEAD something that we care about?
>

> Doug

Hi Doug,

I do agree that it would be nice to have a post-install configuration
utility.  However, I think it might be better served with a separate
tool, rather than a swiss army knife that sysinstall was.  If someone
is willing to do the work, I think a suitable replacement could be
written in sh+dialog, along the lines of bsdinstall.  That being said,
I remove myself from the nomination pool.

- Justin