Re: Removal of sysinstall from HEAD and lack of a post-install configuration tool

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 11:22:21 -0800
On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 5:25 AM, Vincent Hoffman <vince_at_unsane.co.uk> wrote:

> On 28/12/2011 06:30, Doug Barton wrote:
> > On 12/27/2011 22:08, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Why not just list the things that sysinstall did that people like, and
> >> extract out / reimplement those bits?
> > That's sounds great. As soon as that's done, we can remove sysinstall
> > from the base. Until those things exist, removing it is premature.
> >
> In that case can I suggest a wiki page or other viewable/editable list
> of desirable features from sysinstall?
> I only used it for the basic disklayout and component install so I'm not
> in a position to start it off or I would.
>
> Vince

Why not just get the list from sysinstall?
Distributions               Install additional distribution sets
Documentation installation  Install FreeBSD Documentation set
Packages                    Install pre-packaged software for FreeBSD
Root Password               Set the system manager's password
Fdisk                       The disk Slice (PC-style partition) Editor
Label                       The disk Label editor
User Management             Add user and group information
Console                     Customize system console behavior
Time Zone                   Set which time zone you're in
Media                       Change the installation media type
Mouse                       Configure your mouse
Networking                  Configure additional network services
Security                    Configure system security options
Startup                     Configure system startup options
TTYs                        Configure system ttys.
Options                     View/Set various installation options
HTML Docs                   Go to the HTML documentation menu (post-install)
Load KLD                    Load a KLD from a floppy

Several of these simply call other tools that will remain present, but
several are internal to sysinstall. Fdisk and Label should be replaced by
the gpart tools already in bsdinstall. A couple might be simply removed,
but most are either useful or near essential, especially for  new user.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558_at_gmail.com