Apropos Removal of sysinstall

From: Peter J. Cherny <peterc_at_luddite.com.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 18:10:24 +1100
Rather than hijack the previous thread,
it's probably time to make a few comments on the current and future
installation and use of ZFS FreeBSD.

I've used both Solaris and FreeBSD since nearly day one for both OSs, so
have a deal of familiarity in their use.

I believe removal of sysinstall exposes the community's blindness to a
major parts of it's future, ZFS root.

Other than following arcane recipes,
the only way to create a system with ZFS root is by using Martin
Matuška's excellent mfsboot images.

Where are the plans for making this functionality mainstream ?

I believe that unless FreeBSD gets it's act together,
Debian/dpkg/zfsonlinux is starting to look like a much more supportable
environment (i.e. has a future)

Sadly the lack of xen already often forces me to run FreeBSD VMs under
Debian.

Flames happily accepted if this helps codify FreeBSD's future, but I
fear it will go the way of Solaris
and be irrelevant to those of us who for decades have used both in the
server space.

pjc