Re: CD Access in 9.x and -CURRENT

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 15:23:22 -0800
Just to clarify some things that I passed on to Joseph in haste ...

On 12/28/2011 21:56, Joseph S. Atkinson wrote:
> Doug Barton reports that cdcontrol(1) doesn't work for him,

Some of the functions work, but I can't play audio CDs with it, even as
root.

> and mplayer
> and audactiy also display issues running as non-root.

These 2 will play audio CDs when run as root due to a labyrinth of
permissions issues in /dev, in spite of my having my unprivileged user
in the 'operator' group. vlc doesn't work at all, even as root.

I'm happy to provide more details, testing, etc.

Doug

--

	You can observe a lot just by watching.	-- Yogi Berra