Re: FreeBSD Installer Roadmap

From: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:46:39 -0600
On 01/18/11 11:38, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> This plan ensures that we have a minimum of three months of testing of
> the new installer on snapshot media before the 9.0 release, which
> should ensure a minimum of bugs. I would also like to point out that
> there are no roads in this map that end up with us having sysinstall
> as the default installer past the 18th of February. After 15 years of
> sysinstall being "greatly in need of death", it will finally be time
> to retire it.

Today is the 18th of February. Josh Paetzel and I (mostly him) have done
a significant amount of infrastructural work required to do the
bsdinstall/pc-sysinstall merge, but it is not quite done yet, so I have
imported bsdinstall into HEAD with its own backend. As per the original
roadmap, we will now continue work on merging (first retaining the
bsdinstall partition editor backend combined with the rest of
pc-sysinstall) while simultaneously working on release integration and
bug fixes for bsdinstall.

Many thanks to everyone who provided test results and feedback. Recent
test ISOs can be found at the BSDInstall wiki page at
http://wiki.freebsd.org/BSDInstall for amd64, i386, powerpc, powerpc64,
and sparc64.
-Nathan