Re: FreeBSD Installer Roadmap

From: Shawn Webb <lattera_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 21:11:56 -0700
> There are many reasons for this, and none of them are selfish (although it
> remains possible to drum-up some selfish reason, all of the reasons behind
> our motivation are in-fact unselfish). Truth-be-told, I welcome the
> replacement of sysinstall but am very wary that ANY replacement will be able
> to exactly replicate the hardware compatibility that sysinstall currently
> enjoys. I do indeed envision a great celebration as FreeBSD-9 bucks
> sysinstall but also at the same time have nightmares of receiving waves of
> calls from people having trouble (for example) "installing FreeBSD-9 on
> their AMD K6 based system, circa long-long-ago in a universe far-far-away."
> (yes, we do have data centers running that very equipment with uptime in the
> 1,000's of days).

I'm sure I'm not fully aware of the situation at your data center, but would
systems that have 1,000+ day uptimes be candidates for upgrade to FreeBSD 9?
It seems that if a system has that kind of uptime, it's a high priority
server and uptime needs to be maintained.

Maybe it would be possible to have both sysinstall and bsdinstall on the
same install medium?

Thanks,

Shawn Webb