Re: Wow... (<-- blown away at performance)

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:29:35 -0800
On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 2:10 AM, Eir Nym <eirnym_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 February 2011 11:15, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>    I don't know what to say, but r218938 screams with flash videos
>> (native Linux speed). Not sure if it's the new binutils or if it's the
>> new linuxulator patches, but I can run multiple instances of youtube
>> in parallel (5 total with other miscellaneous flash animation) without
>> it totally lagging out Firefox/X11, and it appears to close the
>> instances of firefox properly now. Hopefully this version fares better
>> than r218113 did (I think I hit a kernel bug after 2 weeks uptime,
>> where my system just hardlocked for no apparent reason).
>>    Anyhow, hope others have similar results.
>> Cheers!
>> -Garrett
>>
>> $ uname -a
>> FreeBSD bayonetta.local 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #0 r218938M:
>> Mon Feb 21 23:10:51 PST 2011
>> gcooper_at_bayonetta.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BAYONETTA  amd64
>
> Which FlashPlayer version do you test? Adobe has made significant
> performance changes in 10.2 (from 10.1). You can search for StageVideo
> performance to learn more about. Youtube already use them since 10.2
> beta

    linux-f10-flashplugin-10.1r102.65 . The performance increases are
claimed to be "up to 85%" on the Stage Video site, but I'm seeing a
more than 200% increase (now it actually scales between multiple
instances, instead of croaks with one instance, tiling up and down the
screen when moving the window slider for instance or switching tabs).
Besides, it seems like it needs external support from the video
driver, and I'm not sure that that bridge exists in the linuxulator.
    Also, it looks like npviewer.bin still hangs to resources on until
Firefox closes (or I kill it :)..), so something still needs to be
resolved there, but that isn't a regression (it's acted that way for
ages), and shouldn't be too hard to do.
Thanks,
-Garrett