RE: HEADS UP: ZFSv28 is in!

From: Chris Forgeron <cforgeron_at_acsi.ca>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:30:32 -0400
Yay! Thanks for all of your work on ZFS. I was just about to inquire about when this was going to happen.

I've been having great success with v28 in the Dec 12 2010 version, other than my minor complaints about imports and speed.

Concerning speed, I've been running further speed tests this weekend with FreeBSD trying to isolate what effect NFS has on my tests. Earlier I found a Solaris 11 box being faster than a FreeBSD 9 box for the same hardware. I notice giant-lock logic in the NFS server code, and while it shouldn't be in play for a MP safe fs like ZFS, I'm not sure.

I have a few NFS custom tests, including forcing async in the code even when VMWare opens it as O_SYNC.  Judging by the Solaris speed difference, I think they must be silently doing something similar to get the speed they do on ZFS with a ZIL enabled.

I also need to look into how the Intel X520 card is setup in Solaris compared to FreeBSD, as it may be my speed limiter.

This will make further testing much easier now that I no longer need to juggle patches.

Thanks again.