Re: RFC regarding usage of ISO 8601 throughout the tree

From: Rob Farmer <rfarmer_at_predatorlabs.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 17:42:20 -0800
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 05:21, Ulrich Spörlein <uqs_at_spoerlein.net> wrote:
> !ACHTUNG BIKESHED ALERT!
>
> Hello,
>
> With the recent changes to the committer graphs, I again was reminded
> how much I hate the YYYY/MM/DD format (I can't help it ...). Given that
> this almost looks like ISO 8601, but is an unreadable variant of it, I
> would like to aggressively change this throughout the tree.

The current format is ISO 8601 compliant, because it allows omitting
the hyphen for compactness in computer files that may be automatically
processed.

Also, adding the hyphen is a bit confusing, because many common
(non-compliant) date systems use hyphens or slashes with the
components in different orders. Omitting it is non-intuitive to
everyone and thus least likely to cause confusion due to local
assumptions in cases like 2001-01-02.

--
Rob Farmer